Happy May 1 everyone! Today is a public holiday here in Hungary, and to celebrate, we’re going to show you two short clips from the 2001 Hungarian comedy, “Csocsó, avagy éljen május 1-je!” (“Csocsó, or Long Live May 1!”). The movie can be viewed in its entirety here.
Gusztáv “Csocsó” Csomai, played by Róbert Koltai in the type of nutty comedic role that he always excels at, is a fun-loving Russian teacher (who doesn’t actually know much Russian) in 1952 Hungary.
Watch the following two clips and see if you can answer the questions that relate to the dialogue. The answers to the questions, a transcript of the dialogue and English translation are all below.
Also, leave a comment below if you have any questions for us about this, or anything else to share!
Csocsó, who is nursing a bad hangover after carousing last night, has been summoned by the boss and has a short conversation with Ági, the secretary. Csocsó is coaching the local soccer team, and Ági asks him a question about it.
1. Why does the boss want to talk to Csocsó?
2. What does the secretary want to know from Csocsó?
3. How does Csocsó respond to her?
The meeting with the boss does not go well (Csocsó walks in asking for a beer), and Gubinyi (Sándor Gáspár) from the ÁVH secret police force asks Csocsó a serious question.
1. What does Gubinyi ask Csocsó?
2. What does Csocsó say?
1. Why does the boss want to talk to Csocsó? She does not know.
2. What does the secretary want to know from Csocsó? If the team will make it into the Hungarian top league.
3. How does Csocsó respond to her? He has total confidence in it.
Csocsó: Nem tudja, mit akar a főnök?
Ági: Fogalmam sincs. Csocsó elvtárs, be fogunk jutni?
Ági: Hát az NB I-be!
Csocsó: Ágikám, hát ez lehet kérdés?!?
Ági: Hajrá Építők! Mindent bele!
Csocsó: Do you know what the boss wants?
Ági: No clue. Comrade Csocsó, will we get in?
Ági: Into the NB I!*
Csocsó: My dear Ágikám, is it even a question?!?
Ági: Go Builders! All in!
*Note: NB I (Nemzeti Bajnokság) is the top professional league for Hungarian soccer clubs. They have to earn their way into this elite ranking.
1. What does Gubinyi ask Csocsó? If he’s really stupid, or just play-acting.
2. What does Csocsó say? He asks Gubinyi his opinion of this.
Gubinyi: Mondd, Csomai elvtárs, te tényleg ennyire hülye vagy, vagy csak játszod nekünk?
Csocsó: Szerinted, Gubinyi elvtárs?
Gubinyi: Tell me, Comrade Csomai, are you really that stupid, or are you just acting that way to us?
Csocsó: What do you think, Comrade Gubinyi?